Mimp for SME Server
John Bennett Services - JBS (software)
- Mimp is a part of Horde framework.
- MIMP is a version of IMP (1) suitable for mobile devices such as WAP phones or PDAs.
- Basic IMP functionality is implemented including mailbox viewing and paging, viewing messages, deleting, replying, forwarding, and composing new messages.
(1) Imp is the standard email interface (webmail) included in SME
Step-by-step HowTo for installation of Mimp on SME Server 7.x.
1. Log in (with username root) to the SME Server console.
2. Download and install mimp and smeserver-mimp
yum install smeserver-mimp --enablerepo=smecontribs
3. Do following commands for the changes to take effect:
signal-event post-upgrade; signal-event reboot
Your SME server reboots
4. (optional) If you try to connect to https://yourserver/horde/mimp/ at this stage, you will probably get this message:
mimp is not activated
5. Then we activate it:
config set mimp service status enabled
5a. To deactivate it:
config setprop mimp status disabled
6. To make these changes take effect:
7. Enable webmail access in server-manager (if not already done)
8. Open https://your.server/webmail/horde/mimp with a webbrowser.
9. Log in as admin (first to Horde, then to Mimp) and check out mobile email settings. Logout.
10. Connect your mobile device to "your.domain/horde/mimp" or "your.domain/webmail (horde is supposed to automatically detect whether you are connecting via a wireless device and present you with the mimp login) and login.
Check installed version
yum info installed *mimp*
That will show both packages.
yum remove *mimp*
Check spec (when asked) that no unintended packages have been included.
Announcement: SME Server 7.x Contribs
More tips about email in this HowTo: Email
If you connect to the SME Server console by Putty ssh-client (or similar) you can copy and paste the commands (very convenient).
Please note that this was written in april 2007, if the software change then this howto may be outdated.
Please do edit if you find errors or have improvements, but make sure that it works!
Please raise bugs under the SME-Contribs section in bugzilla and select the smeserver-mimp component or use this link .
Tested software version
Host: SME Server v9.0beta3 (el5 versions of rpms), v8.0, v7.1 update 3 onwards
Current versions in SME 8 smecontribs repository at 19 February 2014