- 1 Developer / Maintainer
- 2 Versions
- 3 Description
- 4 Installation
- 5 Notes on using SME Server Git
- 6 Feedback
- 7 Additional information on git
- 8 Bug Reporting & Tracking
Developer / Maintainer
This is a place holder for a Git integration and collaboration contrib for SME server. This contrib turns your SME8 or SME9 server into an easy to manage centralised 'git' repository server. Access is with HTTPS and fine grained access permissions are handled through the SME users and groups. Web viewing is provided with the optional gitweb contrib and its GitHub like theme.
Have a look http://through-ip.com/git for a live instance of this contrib.
The current feature list include:
- Create & manage centralised git repositories through the SME server-manager panel.
- Per repository network access configurable for either 'Local network Only' or 'Internet'.
- Repositories accessed over HTTP/HTTPS for easy remote access through firewalls.
- Access permissions are based on your SME server users and groups configuration.
- Git PULL and PUSH permissions can be controlled separately.
- Support for Anonymous access PULL and/or PUSH.
- Separate name space for Git repositories using /git as a prefix (i.e. the git repository names are independent of ibays and other resources on the server).
- Automatic email notification of push operations to all users that have either pull or push access to that repository.
- Web viewing of repositories through gitweb with full view access to local users, but from the internet only the anonymous accessible repositories or with a login, those repositories that that user has permissions for.
- Special GitHub style theme for gitweb viewer (optionally, but highly recommended).
- Syntax colouring when viewing code in the web view.
- Gravatars support in the gitweb web view.
- Automatic markdown of README.md into README.html and shown in gitweb repository summary.
There are now RPMs available from the smedev repository.
The Git packages and the Highlight comes from the Epel repository. Check the instructions on that wiki page and make sure you use the settings matching your server (either SME8 or SME9).
On SME8 it installs Git 1.8 from the Epel repository. On SME9 it is only git 1.7 and from the base repository.
Install the SME Server Git RPM's
yum --enablerepo=smecontribs,epel install smeserver-git smeserver-gitweb smeserver-gitweb-theme
Subversion conflict with smeserver-subversion
The SME Server Subversion contribs currently has a small conflict in the subversion RPM's that are used for the smeserver-subversion (version 1.6.15 from smecontribs) and smeserver-git (vesion 1.6.11 from dag) contribs whereby the smecontribs repository does not have the subversion-perl package:
As a workaround both contribs can be installed together:
- Remove the smeserver-subversion and subversion rpms
- Install smeserver-git as above.
- Install smeserver-subversion with the steps below:
wget http://pkgs.repoforge.org/subversion/subversion-perl-1.6.15-0.1.el5.rfx.i386.rpm yum localinstall subversion-perl-1.6.15-0.1.el5.rfx.i386.rpm install smeserver-subversion --enablerepo=smecontribs
Notes on using SME Server Git
There are a few configuration parameters in the config database as follows:
Show the current git configuration:
config show git
Configure if the HTTP access to 'git' is to be enabled. Default 'enabled'.
Configure if gitweb is enabled or disabled. Default enabled when smeserver-gitweb is installed.
Configure if theme for gitweb is enabled or disabled. Default enabled when smeserver-gitweb-theme is installed.
Configure the LogLevel used in apache for debugging the git configuration. Default 'disabled'. Generates a lot of log data. Use with caution.
Configure network level access to the gitweb interface. Settings 'disabled', 'local' or 'internet'.
Configure the shown system name in gitweb. Defaults to the config db 'SystemName'.
Configure the shown domain name in gitweb. Defaults to the config db 'DomainName'.
Git client needs to ignore self signed SSL certificates
The Git client validates the HTTP SSL security certificate when accessing a repository. With the self signed certificates typical on SME servers, you will get an error like certificate verify failed when accessing the Git repository. You can avoid this problem by by setting the http sslVerify flag to false. Using a command line, you can do this in your Git client as follows:
git config --global http.sslVerify false
In a git config file, this looks like:
[http] sslVerify = false
I welcome any feedback on this contrib for bugs, features or assistance (e.g. turning it into an RPM). Email me at the address found at the top of this page.
Additional information on git
More information about Git can be found on http://git-scm.com/.
Bug Reporting & Tracking
Please raise bugs under the SME-Contribs section in bugzilla and select the smeserver-git, smeserver-gitweb or smeserver-gitweb-theme component or use these links: smeserver-git , smeserver-gitweb , smeserver-gitweb-theme
Below is an overview of the current issues for these contribs:
|ID||Product||Version||Status||Summary (4 tasks)|
|11665||SME Contribs||10.0||UNCONFIRMED||Apache fails to start AH00526: Syntax error on line 999 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf Invalid command 'RewriteLog', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration|
|SME Contribs||10alpha||RESOLVED||Initial Import in SME 10 [smeserver-git]|
|9630||SME Contribs||9.0||CONFIRMED||remove admin from list of group in manager|
|9629||SME Contribs||9.0||CONFIRMED||SystemName and DomainName not used in server manager|
|11286||SME Contribs||10alpha||IN_PROGRESS||Initial Import in SME 10 [smeserver-gitweb]|
|SME Contribs||10alpha||RESOLVED||Initial Import in SME 10 [smeserver-git-web-theme]|